- Make paying down debt your biggest money priority.
- Once out of debt, make saving (aggressively) your biggest money priority (and staying out of debt).
- Use a debit card with NO ATM transaction fees (Charles Schwab) and one that's tied to a checking account with NO monthly service fees and NO account minimum (Charles Schwab).
- For a savings account that needs to be semi-liquid, use a high-yield savings account like SmartyPig. Note: By U.S. federal law, savings accounts have a limit of six withdrawals per month.
- Arm yourself with a credit card that passes the No Foreign Transaction Fee Test and the Points Test
- No Foreign Transaction Fee = you can use the card in foreign countries without paying transaction fees.
- Points = you can earn hella points. My go-to's: CapitalOne Venture and CapitalOne Spark.
by investing in passive index mutual funds (as opposed to active mutual funds) after reading Common Sense on Mutual Funds by John Bogle.
Caveat: I am NOT an investment or financial advisor, and no advice from this list should be taken without speaking to a qualified professional first. Also, investing in securities involves risks, and there is the possibility of losing money. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Questions? Email [email protected]